Sunday, November 22, 2009

White Chicken Chili


So envy is not a nice color on me...or anyone for that matter. Unfortunately I get it a lot. Especially when I see someone eating something that looks delicious. Especially when I'm eating half of a deli sandwich - the same one I've had every single school day. Especially when I have to go teach with more energy than I have left. Luckily, my co-worker Julie helped me out with that envy. She shared this recipe with me which is what I will not be eating for left-overs in the lunch room. Thanks Julie!

Ingredients

1 cup fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
1 cup chopped onion
2 tbs. flour
2 tsps. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp hot sauce (Tabasco)
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken, dice...(do you actually dice chicken? you get what I mean, right?)
3 cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 can so-salt-added whole-kernel corn, drained
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chilies, drained
2 garlic cloves, minced
Mexican blend cheese
sour cream
cilantro

Method

You'll notice that the ingredients sound pretty healthy. That's because they are. This is a Cooking Light recipe. I think it only stays light for so long. You'll see. Combine first 13 ingredients in a crock pot. Cover and cook on low all day. (The recipe says cook on high for 1 hour and then on low for 4 hours...I didn't want to do that. It's so much more fun to smell it all day in anticipation, don't you think?). Hears where I loose the health value. The recipe says to only add in one tablespoon of cheese and sour cream. I add a little bit more than that. In fact, I add even more than the picture shows. I just couldn't resist. It makes it really good. Trust me.

Speaking of the picture, I would just like to mention at this point that I hate having to photograph a mostly bland looking meal in a white dish. It's what I've got. So again, I have photo envy. I'm trying to get better...really I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment