Thursday, June 25, 2009

Spring Green Risotto

This is one of my absolute favorite dishes. I saw Ina Garten make this dish and knew that I most definitely had to try this dish. I wanted to post about it (and if you know me I'm impatient and want it now), but I had just recently made it for Mike and my brother Calvin. My trip out east to Eliz's made this a perfect opportunity, especially since she is trying to go vegetarian. Her fiance Mike - there are a lot of Mike's in my life - said, well if Syd's making this, it must be hearty. It is. Especially when you add more vegetables than called for. Doesn't it look delicious?

Ingredients
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp butter
3 cups of chopped leeks, white and light green parts (about 2 leeks)
1 cup chopped fennel (also called anise, something I didn't know before)
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice (actually in all grocery stores, who knew!)
2/3 cup dry white wine (Ina says use good wine, I just use the cooking kind)
4-5 cups chicken stock (Ina says homemade, I don't have time)
1 pound thin asparagus
10 ounces frozen peas (I couldn't find a bag this size, so I just used the whole thing)
1 zucchini (something I added and makes it fantastic)
1 tbsp freshly grated lemon zest (I did it once with and once without, both are good)
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 tbsp lemon juice (I just use one lemon's juice)
1/3 cup marscapone cheese (also in most grocery stores)
1/2 cup grated parmesean (preferably freshly grated)
2 tbsp minced chives (optional - haven't used it yet, but I should try it)

Heat olive oil and butter in sauce pan on medium heat. I would actually use a stock pot size because I am messy and it gets all over the place otherwise. Add in the fennel and leeks and saute for 5-7 minutes. Add the rice and make sure to coat all of it with the oil. Add the white wine and simmer until all of it has been absorbed. At this point, add about 2 ladles (no I didn't actually use the ladle, I just guestimated) of chicken stock at a time until it gets absorbed by the rice. Continue adding the stock this way.

While you are adding the rice, defrost the peas and blanch the asparagus (which has been cut up into about 1 in lengths) and the zucchini (which is cut however you like - I like to dice it). This is how you blanch. Boil water with salt. Add the vegetables and boil for about 4-5 minutes. Drain and put in iced water bowl until you add it. Apparently, this is supposed to keep the intergrity (???) of the vegetable when added to a dish like this. I like it.

When the risotto has been cooking 15 minutes, add in the vegetables, salt, pepper and lemon zest. It always takes me more than 15 minutes to get to this point. Who knows what's happening.
Continue cooking and adding stock until the rice is tender but still firm.

When finished, turn off the heat. In a bowl whisk together the marscapone cheese and lemon juice. Then add the parmesean cheese. Add to the risotto. This makes it wonderfully creamy but not too rich. Fantastic.

Mike (my Mike) introduced me to risotto, for which I will be eternally grateful. This is probably one of my favorite comfort foods now. You have to try this. You won't regret it. And if you do, let me know and we'll figure out what went wrong or another type of risotto you will love.

1 comment:

  1. We made this last night! I love it! I sent my mom the recipe too.

    ReplyDelete