Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Three Bean Salad of Goodness


I used to think that I didn't like beans. I hated baked beans, I only liked green beans with bacon (which I made sure I had more bacon than beans), and Chili was never a favorite because of the kidney bean (they seriously need to rethink that name...I don't like thinking of the kidney's function while eating my meals). This is all not mentioning that I've always lived with men that create less than stellar bodily functions after any size serving of beans. That's enough to make any girl scared. Everybody keeps telling me, though, how healthy beans are, and in my current quest to get more fiber in my diet (I'm not sure how that kick started...) I decided that I needed more beans in my diet.

After checking out some of our cookbooks, I finally remembered that there was a bean dish that I actually really enjoyed from Cooking Light. Three Bean Salad. Who would think, with the odds stacked against them, I would like a salad that incorporated three different beans? Well, I do. I need to have a lot of people over when I make this dish though, because it makes SO MUCH. Mike and I can't finish it off. So my labor day gathering was just the time to make this spectacular salad.

Ingredients

1/2 c. Green Onions, chopped
1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1 can Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt

Combine first six ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together the rest of the ingredients; pour over the bean mixture. Stir to coat. Cover and chill.

Now how easy is that? Tasty and healthy, too!

Kind of looks like confetti, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment