Sunday, September 20, 2009

Who Doesn't Like Casserole...on Labor Day...?


I'm sure there are people out there who don't like casserole, but so far I haven't met them. When I had the folks over for a Labor Day dinner (yes, I know, I really am still writing about the Labor Day event - but grading the 62 papers and 24 articles I get every week has sort of bogged me down), I couldn't think of a better dish to serve. WAIT! Casserole on Labor Day? The previous statement - that's a lie. I think most people probably grill for Labor Day, which I would love to do but forces are working against me. Our apartment doesn't allow charcoal grills. I'm sure you're wondering why that is a problem. I'm sure you're wondering why don't we just get a gas grill. Well, my husband apparently is a grill snob. He doesn't like the flavor and has a whole host of other reasons. Forces collide. Therefore, we never have grilled food unless we are invited somewhere that is serving it. Therefore, I serve casserole on Labor Day.

All of that being said, I think the chicken boudine casserole turned out pretty well. It turns out even better left over. And you know what, this is a Paula Dean dish that isn't even all that unhealthy for you. Give it a try... maybe not on Labor Day...but give it a try.

Ingredients

2 cups. Egg Noodles, cooked
2 cans Cream of Mushroom soup (I like to use the reduced fat/salt kind)
1/2 cup Chicken Broth
1/4 cup Dry Sherry
4 cups Chicken, cooked and chopped
3 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 package Almonds, slivered and toasted
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

In a large bowl, toss together everything except 1 cup of the cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer into a 13x9 in pan. Use the last cup of cheese to top it. Bake for 30 min. or until bubbly.

It is really that easy. To make it even easier, just get an already cooked chicken from the grocery store. It takes down on a lot of time.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment